Sunday, November 1, 2015

Overcoming anxiety

Believe it or not I am a pessimist (I like to call myself a realist), it is difficult for me to think of the positives, because I worry a lot (probably more than your average person). I have struggled with anxiety for years. During college it was probably the worst it ever has been. I seriously struggled with testing anxiety, and ended up on a few medications to control my anxiety. I worry about what people think of me, the future, and my child constantly. Of course I know that worrying doesn't get me anywhere and it doesn't change the situation that I am in, but it is difficult finding ways to stop yourself from worrying. 

These are some ways that have helped me stop the anxiety and focus on the positives.
  • Exercise: Seriously it sounds very cliche but for the last 16 weeks, I have exercised at least 4 times a week. I have seen a huge improvement in my worrying and anxiety. I admit I don't LOVE working out, but I do it for my lungs, and my brain. For the last 16 weeks I have done Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide. I have not what so ever changed my diet, which I know is like bad, but I am working on it. :) 
  • Writing: writing a blog has helped me a ton, I'm not saying "hey stop everything and go start a blog." I do however think writing in a journal helps, and even better a gratitude journal. They have some awesome gratitude journals out there. They have some that give you a subject to write about and others that are just lined like journals. 
  • Surround yourself with positive people: There have been times in my life that I didn't realize people were bringing me down. Once I left those toxic relationships or stopped being around them so often, I felt a weight off my shoulders. It is not worth trying to please people that are not "your" people. 
  •    Meditate: I am an avid believer in meditation. Sitting alone in silence has always been awkward to me. I don't like being alone for a number of reasons. In a sense, I am uncomfortable with myself. I have too many thoughts and sometimes I want my brain to stop for a second. Sitting in silence for even 2 minutes is amazing. The goal of meditation for me is to think of nothing. The best way for me to do that is focus completely on my breathing. Sometimes I even say to myself as I breathe "breathe in, breathe out." 
  • Positive affirmations: I use these a little different than other people. I say them in my head as I meditate, and this focus helps me to more positive, not right away but afterwards I feel calm and more positive. Lately I have been saying "I'm healthy, I'm happy and I can breathe." 
Lately feeling positive has been difficult for me. I have been working way more than I want, I got a really bad sinus infection that has taken me weeks to heal, my house is a wreck, I have been giving my son too many sweets (aka feeling like a bad mom), I have so many appointments and don't have enough sitters, I haven't worked out for almost 2 weeks...the list can go on and on. 

As I sat in church today I was reminded of all the things that I should be grateful for, and the things that will help me overcome my trials, my attitude, and my negative thoughts. I will still have difficult days, and believe me they come way more often than I would like. All I can do is "Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great purpose in your heart." --President Gordon B. Hinckley


No comments:

Post a Comment