Friday, November 20, 2015

30 and Thoughtless

Two days ago I turned 30. I never thought it was a big deal until like 6 months ago and then the closer it got the more it freaked me out, plus I started seeing wrinkles about the same time. 30 is not old by any means, but it is a weird age. I thought by now I would have my life figured out, we would be in our final home, I would be working less, and I would have like 3 or 4 kids. Hahaha, I guess you just have to laugh at all that. Life goes the way it goes, it is always different than you think. Not that it's bad different, just different.  

Here are 30 things that I have learned in my 20's 
  • Nothing is like it seems. When I was in my early twenties Facebook became popular. At first it was just so people could post cute pictures of their babies and dogs, now it is so you can post your personal feelings, your political views and so you and your family can look perfect. Now we have instagram, snapchat, twitter, periscope and whatever else. Things are not always as they seem, everyone is going through something and no one has a perfect life. True happiness comes when you don't worry about others, and your not living through someone else. 
  • Everyone is dong the best that they can. I feel like everyone is out to do their best. No one intentionally wants hurts someone else (maybe some people but I would hope not very many). 
  • Trying to please everyone is just not worth it. For a long time I would go to every event, and every invite. I started getting really busy with work, picked up a second job, losing sleep and losing family time. I decided then that it was not worth pleasing everyone. The only thing that matters is yourself and your family. I mean yeah, everyone wants friends and friends are important but your life needs to come first, and you don't need to give people excuses. 
  • Just do your job and go home. Working as a nurse sometimes is pretty difficult, you get attached to patients lives and stories, you listen to other nurses terrible stories about their life, sometimes you are getting yelled at by patients and doctors and you get involved in a lot of drama. 12 hours is a long time, but it is only 12 hours. I try to not get so emotionally attached to too many things. I can be there and listen but I try not to take the baggage home. 
  • Practice really does make perfect. The only way you can get good at something is to do it over and over. This goes for Hobbies and even exercise. Doing something only once you don't really see a lot of results, but once you practice things start to come together.
  • Exercise really is worth it. About a year ago I did a bootcamp for 6 weeks. It was difficult but I felt so good and alive afterwards. I had lost a total of 7 pounds and 11 inches. It was amazing, I learned so much about nutrition, and myself it was very worth it. Exercise is good for your heart, lungs, mind and so many other things in your life. It can make you feel powerful and defeated all in one session. When you stop you get tired, more irritable and you sleep worse. Exercise is awesome!!
  • Having a clean house is not the most important thing in life. No one wants to live in a pig pen, but your house doesn't have to be spotless. Okay lets be realistic, my house has never been spotless, but some days I would get my exercise in, run errands, go to the park, make dinner and then feel so guilty that my house wasn't clean. 
  • Eating at home is healthier, cheaper and it makes eating out much more exciting when you get to go out. I swear I go through phases where we eat out all the time and then don't for a while. My body, mind, and wallet feel so much better when we don't eat out. 
  • Vacations are awesome and you should travel more. I have had some of the most amazing experiences traveling. I have met so many people, and seen so many things and it never gets boring. Trying new food, feeling awkward, doing stupid things, and stepping out of your comfort zone makes you grow so much. Spending money on a vacation is much better than a new shirt any day. 
  • Time is better than money. We are not rich by any means, some months we just get by paying our bills, but time is way better than money. My husband loves his job, but before he switched jobs he was a teacher. He was making 35,000 a year, but had weekends, holidays, and summers off and he was so much happier. Time is so much better than money. Spending time with people you love is much better than money. Hopefully one day we will have more time together, until then we cherish the time we have. 
  • Living by family is amazing and never take it for granted. We lived by family our whole lives, it was annoying sometimes and of course in every family there is drama, but having help and someone to call is priceless. Now we live in a new city with very few family around and it is difficult. It is so difficult to trust others with your kid, plus babysitters are like $8-$15 an hour which is ridiculous.  
  • Don't listen to what people say. I figured this out while I was pregnant. Everyone has an opinion about everything. People want to tell you what worked for them, what didn't work for them, what is wrong and what is right. You start getting overwhelmed with information and then you have no idea what to do. Go with your gut, don't listen to what everyone says. Listen to the advice, take it into consideration but don't take it all to heart. 
  • Communicate with your spouse. Never assume they know what you are talking about or they know what you want. No one can read minds, just say how you feel and what you want. 
  • Stay calm. It is so difficult for me to do this. I am not good at staying calm, really in any situation. I freak out, jump to conclusions and worry about everything. It doesn't change anything, so stay calm. 
  • Take time for yourself. I am still not very good at this. About once a year, I take my whole birthday week and do what I want. It is important that for at least 10 min a day you are doing something for yourself. I don't mean watching a show or even taking a nap. Those are all good things and help you relax, but that isn't really something for you. Meditate, exercise, sit in silence, get to know yourself. 
  • It is okay to ask for help. Life is hard, don't get filled with pride and think you have to do everything perfect, and do everything yourself. Ask for help, you will be surprised how many people are willing to help. 
  • Go outside. You will learn things about yourself and feel closer to God. Sometimes all you need is a little quiet time and a little sunshine. Vitamin D heals. 
  • Don't worry so much. Worrying about the outcome of something or the future of something doesn't change anything. 
  • Someone always has it worse than you. Don't be so hard on yourself. Life gets in the way of things, but remember there is always someone that is worse off than you. 
  • There is always something to be grateful for. Always. Life sucks sometimes but focus on the positive and the things that make you happy. 
  • Your attitude and thoughts determine your happiness and outcome of the situation. Being happy and positive are not really my thing; I am sarcastic and I am a realist, but the more I notice, as long as I train my self thought and stay positive I am much happier and my outcomes are much better. 
  • Sometimes you just need a nap. Life is hard, busy and stressful. Sometimes you just need a nap and that is okay giving yourself a power nap (or a three hour nap) is sometimes just what you need to jump start the day. 
  • Everyone is in a different place in their life. Everyone's journey is different. Just because some 30 year olds are building their dream home, going on vacations or are millionaires, who cares. If everyone was in the same place in life, life would be boring. We are all on our own journey, enjoy it!
  • Family is everything. Don't lose these relationships, they are ones who truly care about you and your situation. They listen, don't judge and will do anything for you. Help them, and they will help you.
  • Being comfortable is much better than being in "style" Man, I know I sound like an old lady, but it's true. I was told my someone the other day that they saw a girl who looked like a tachy teenage mom trying to control her littles. It Turns out she was an older mom that was also a pretty wealthy lady that was just trying too hard to "fit in" with her style. Sometimes it is just better to be comfortable. 
  • It is better to confront a situation head on. Whether this is a problem with work, or a friend it is not good to keep things on your mind for a long time, this will cause wedges that may not be there, and cause unneeded stress  John Green said "Just remember that sometimes, the way you think about a person isn't the way they actually are." Talk to people, communication is key. 
  • I am not perfect, I have a lot to work on and I am continually writing goals that I would like to be completed. I work hard, and I try to be the best I can be. I say it how it is and sometimes offend others, I am an open book and you can ask me any question and I will answer honestly. 
  • My belief system is what gives me courage, makes me feel needed, worth it and loved. God knows all his children, he cares for us, he knows us. Jesus has endured all of our pains, he knows what we are going through and when we feel alone, he is with us. He never leaves us, we leave him. 
  • Pink is still my favorite color, I will always like pizza and I love wearing jammies. These things will never change, and it is good to have something in your life that is steady. Even if it is your favorite color and favorite food. 
  • Having kids is worth it!! I told someone once that if I knew how much work kids were, I wasn't sure if I would do it again. But I will, and I would over and over again. I love my baby!!  
I hope through my 30's I can be more confident, travel more, laugh more, and just be myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment